Epic Games had earlier said that it would shut down the Chinese version of the game on November 15
Amid the Communist Party-led crackdowns against online games to prevent addiction, Epic Games has finally dropped its idea to penetrate the Chinese market, by pulling the plug on Fortnite.
Epic Games had earlier said that it would shut down the Chinese version of the game on November 15. Meanwhile, this step came as a disappointment for many Chinese players. They took to Weibo (a Chinese microblogging website) to bid farewell as they can no longer access the game.
During the test which started in 2018, the content was policed or slammed for excessive violence. Hence, the game never received the government’s nod to be formally launched and monetised.
President Xi Jinping led the Chinese government has started a crackdown on video games that promote violence to prevent gaming addiction. As per the government, Chinese children are spending too much time playing online games. Hence, gaming regulators have initiated age and playing-time restrictions, while at the same time slowing down approvals for new titles.